The Achievements Grammar Fundamentals curriculum teaches students the basics of grammar through the lens of an exciting adventure and the use of a gradual release of responsibility model. The goal of this curriculum is for students to be able to define and identify basic parts of speech, add simple punctuation and capitalization to sentences, and form basic, grammatically-correct sentences. The program is visually appealing and incorporates an engaging narrative. Teacher directions are clearly delineated, making learning fun for students and easier for teachers.
This curriculum includes the following skills:
- Identifying and producing common, proper, singular, and plural nouns
- Identifying and conjugating both singular and plural verbs in different tenses
- Understanding the basic elements of a sentence and its punctuation and capitalization rules
- Identifying and producing adjectives
- Using and matching pronouns, including personal, indefinite, and possessive pronouns
- Creating and expanding contractions
- Using commas in a series, with dates, and in addresses
- Identifying prepositions and conjunctions
Features of Grammar Fundamentals:
- Lessons are presented as part of a storyline, where students prepare for and go on a lion hunt. The exciting narrative draws students in and motivates them to learn about grammar.
- Each lesson follows an “I do, you do, we do” model to scaffold student learning and facilitate mastery of new and complex concepts.
- Lessons are presented sequentially. First, students learn about nouns and verbs to understand the basic elements of a sentence. After learning how to form a complete sentence with a subject and verb, students are introduced to more complex parts of speech and learn to integrate these words into sentences. Students also learn sentence capitalization and punctuation rules.