WORLD OF LITERACY: Grade 10
The Achievements World of Literacy Curriculum builds reading comprehension skills through the use of educational reading materials that are suitable for Yeshivos and Bais Yaakovs.
The lessons presented in this curriculum are vehicles for students to gain vital literacy skills that are well-suited to the reading that will be required of them during their years in school and beyond. World of Literacy also plays a vital role in educating students about miscellaneous topics that are not covered in standard curricula but are both educational and interesting.
Some of the reading comprehension skills taught in this curriculum include:
- Identifying the main idea
- Providing textual support
- Differentiating fact from opinion
- Identifying the author’s point of view
- Inferring information from a secondary source
Features of World of Literacy:
- All reading selections are original passages created by skilled writers. The passages are non-fiction and cover a wide range of engaging topics within the categories of history, science, work and economy, world, and miscellaneous. Example of topics are black holes, decaffeinated coffee, Fort Knox, contact lenses, and ISIS.
- Each lesson contains questions that are carefully constructed by English Language Arts (ELA) experts and are based on Common Core standards. There are both closed-ended questions that mimic the style of standardized tests and open-ended questions that encourage written expression. Questions are also designed with all levels of Bloom’s Taxonomy in mind to build critical thinking skills.
- World of Literacy contains a built-in vocabulary curriculum that can stand on its own or can be incorporated into other classroom activities.
- The teacher edition features footnotes with ideas for related classroom activities and interactive discussions. There are also three check-in questions per lesson to test comprehension of the content and promote classroom conversation.
- The supplemental USB contains links to online resources, like printouts and educational videos, to complement the lessons and engage students further.